Institute of Intelligence Studies (IIS) as a part of University of Defence aims its activities at developing the issues of strategic military intelligence. In line with the stipulations in § 34, Act no. 111/1998 Sb., on tertiary education and amendments to other acts ("University Act"), as a university institute it is allowed to concentrate the effort and usage of tools and equipment on scientific research tasks in favour of Czech national defence intelligence capacity. At the same time, IIS is responsible for teaching intelligence-oriented subjects for the intelligence/reconnaissance specialisations within the university degree programmes along with teaching for career and technical courses arranged by Military Intelligence and other intelligence units of the Czech Armed Forces.
IIS further involves in:
- tutoring doctoral degree students whose final thesis topic orients to the research of intelligence-related issues;
- organising conferences, seminars, workshops and/or panel discussions at both national and international levels covering intelligence issues and topics related to security environment assessment in the areas of strategic intelligence interest;
- making standards and providing expert service for Czech ministries of defence, foreign affairs and the interior;
- coordination activities as the only university element in the Czech Republic engaged in the entire complexity of Intelligence Studies;
- scientific research and expert cooperation with foreign academic and research institutions engaged in intelligence studies.
The institute consists of two departments:
- Department of Intelligence Branches and Analysis
- Department of Threats and Regions